Email Alias, a term that is related to email, but is not commonly known among the users. Email Alias can be a lot useful, but in order to get into that direction, you first need to know what Email Alias is.
We all use phones these days. The main role of using a smartphone is to communicate with one another. When it comes to calls, there is a feature named ‘call diversion’, which allows users to divert calls from one phone to another. In the same way, you can divert your emails from one email ID to another. This is the process known as ‘email alias’. Basically, ‘email alias’ is a special email address, which you can forward your emails to. If you are not able to understand this concept, then let me present a simple example. If you have an email account, i.e., ‘email@example.com’, which you are using for quite some time now, but you now want to use another email of yours, and also want your friends, colleagues, and relatives to send emails to this new email ID, then you will have to make an arrangement for the same.
But since, all your emails are coming to ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’, and you can’t close this account, then you will have to use an email alias. This is one of those features that isn’t used by too many people, but if you have no other option but to use an email alias, then you should go for it. If you are not sure whether you can create an email alias or not, you need to get in touch with your email service provider. If there is a provision made by your email service provider to create an email alias, then you can forward emails to this new email address of yours.
Now, you must be looking as to how to configure your email account in order to get all the messages from your previous email account to this new email account.
Here are the steps that you can follow to create an email alias:
- Sign into your SBC Global email.
- Click on ‘options’ followed by ‘more options’.
- Click the option named ‘customize SBCGlobal email’. After that, you need to click ‘rules for sorting new emails’. You can sort the emails as per your preference.
- You will see an option that will make your new emails automatically transfer to their own folders. So, you will have to remove that option.
How to point at the right ‘reply-to’ email address?
You will have to use ‘Thunderbird Identity Function’ to make ‘reply-to’ email address as your alias email address instead of the main email address. To make that happen, follow below-mentioned steps:
- Go to Thunderbird account settings followed by clicking your primary email account.
- There is an option named ‘manage identities’, which you need to click followed by clicking the ‘add’ option.
- Now, you need to add a name that you wish to configure with your alias email account.
- After you add your name, you need to enter ‘alias email account’ in the ‘email ID’ option and in ‘reply-to’ email address.
- You can configure a number of other options as well like, encryption, reply quotes, messages, etc. Click ‘Ok’ button a couple of times to finish the process.
If you want to know the process of storing emails in a different folder of your email alias ID, then follow below-mentioned steps to create a custom folder in order to stores emails.
- Go to ‘File’ and the respective folder where you want to add emails.
- Create the folder and name it whatever you want.
- Choose an email that is present in email alias. After that, click ‘message’ option followed by ‘create filter’.
- Give a name to the filter, but make sure that it is configured properly while you manually run the option or check emails. You can also configure the filter to modify ‘To’ option.
- Select a folder you want to move your emails to.